My life as I see it: Background info
- Special Sections Editor at Sun Journal: Oversee production of over 65 themed newspaper supplements each year covering topics such as weddings, car care, healthy living, financial planning, and home improvement. My imprint is all over the supplements – from the articles and photos chosen (freelance / subscription / other sources) to the formatting of text and photos (InDesign / PhotoShop) to the design of the page to proofing in prepress to uploading final product to Web site.
- Work with advertisers to create editorial that is informative.
- Work closely with freelance writers (advertise for and hire / give assignments / submit invoice to payroll), photographers, advertising staff.
- Freelance Writer / Photographer at Self Employed
- Marketing Director at Lewiston Auburn Macintosh Users Group
2007 – 2012 (expected)
College Writing and Intro to Lit – very intensive writing assignments.
Does anyone remember reading “Slaughterhouse 5″ and White Noise” in college?
The required core curriculum course “Profiles & Proficiencies” used the textbook “Zen: The Art of Making a Living.” The culmination of that class was to create an autobiography to present at the semester’s end.
“Thinking About the Arts, Thinking Through the Arts” gave me the vocabulary needed to discuss art. Class project was to create art that answered the question, “How, then, shall we live?” I created a recyclable 8′ tree using PVC pipe covered in paper mache with a canopy made from green soda cans (mostly Mountain Dew).
Black & White Film Photography with instructor Bernie Meyers. Fantastic instructor. Gave good foundation in fundamentals with a focus on interpretation. For example, class assignment was a list of words. Each student had the same list of words which each student had to interpret and taking a photo of what that word meant. Some of the words included: gross, beautiful, timeless, decisive, punk, couple in love, couple not in love, joy, and fear. The interpretations were incredible. I particularly liked the peer reviews and critiques (not only in this class, but in each class). Some of my photo assignments can be seen by clicking on the link to my Flickr account in the sidebar. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sammeyeamm
Creative Critical Inquiry. A fascinating class taught by Ann Boyce, a fascinating soul.
This semester: Poetry Writing. Computer Applications.